Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Origins of English...

Hmmmmm…. Second week of IB and it’s not going good I guess. I am SOOO slack! It’s not funny. Well I blame Maths cause Mr. Lumb gave us SOOOO much and it took forever. Plus I was rather stoned on Saturday so nothing really went in and came out on the paper.

So Monday I have two doubles free (such a bad timetable man) so I did my Chemistry homework in the morning with Priscilla (hello) and then TRIED to do Maths with Udayan and Nil (hello). Gosh Udayan complicated the homework SOOO much with odds and evens that it wasn’t even needed. Then during my second free I did my French homework which Mme is going to kill me for cause my sentences were like “Ever since I became a citizen of France I have even more friends” and “Je suis radioactif” (I am radioactive). Then I met Rachel and finished my Maths (which I actually didn’t finish till after school). Had lunch and went to French which was ok. I have no girlfriends – all are guys and I’m really trying to get Sajal to sit with us but he won’t. :( Then I had Chemistry which was fun cause a) Mr. Hanley wasn’t there and b) we were doing moles and shit which I am not bad at, and I had fun going “HAH” to people when they said I was wrong but I was actually right. Ok that’s mean but hey, I don’t get to do it often!

English was really fun today, well we learnt about the origin on English. 40% is German, 40% is French and I don’ remember the rest. And also “-ough-“ can be pronounced 7 different ways.
"through" (cf. boo).
"thought" (cf. taut).
"though" (cf. toe).
"cough" (cf. off).
"rough" (cf. ruffian).
"plough" (Commonwealth spelling; cf. plow).
"hiccough" (now uncommon variant of hiccup; cf. up)

Also (I was actually going to bet $1000 on this but I can’t be bothered) ghoti actually says FISH. How? Well TOUGH gives you the F. There is one word in the English dictionary where O is pronounced E, WOMEN, that’s how the I gets there. The SH is from the word naTIon. Cool nah?

Hehehe funniest part of the lesson was when Mr. Tett asked the class who were pressurizing and kicking the Angles out from the German side of Europe during 450AD and I said “Hitler”. Bwahahaha

Basketball trial went okay, but I won't get in for sure - 100%. Posted up either tomorrow or Thursday!

Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha huey i wish i was still in your french class it would be soooo much fun :P and i agree i blame it all on MR.LUMB especially that i havent done my other hw until now.... gosh why did he have to give us so much hw! hahaha and i agree two double frees on mon sortoff sucks i think.... hahahahaha hitler hahaha soooo funny :P i cant believe u said that :) and i think u WILL GET INTO BBALL dont be so pessimistic :D

[hooi] said...

No Nil, Lynn'll notice you're not there and then kick me out

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha noooooooooo way wat r u talking about haha if u havent noticed i cant dribble the ball haha :P

[hooi] said...

If you haven't noticed I can't defend!