...I was just the sly brown guy absorbed into an all-white world, completely and naturally detached from my heritageThat's my cousin there. And I must say, I cannot agree with him more.
It was only when I got to university when people started asking ‘where are you from?’ ‘My answer was generally ‘from here’, And then it was ‘but where are you really from?’, ‘You’re from Pakistan right?’
When enough people challenge your assumptions then you start to question these yourself.
With time whenever people coined the question where are you from?
My answers gradually changed to ‘I am Bengali’, ‘I am from Bangladesh’.
And why did they change?
Am I from Bangladesh? No
Had I become more in touch with my heritage? No.
Did I feel more Bangladeshi? No.
The simple answer was that I was sub-consciously conforming to other people’s expectations of how I should answer the question i.e. I had become a victim of what I would call ‘imposed compartmentalization’.
And a lot of us are guilty of this, the number of people I come across who were born and have lived here all their lives and yet call Pakistan ‘home’ when it never will be, Or who call themselves British Muslim, when their actions/ behaviors would suggest otherwise.
And who imposes this categorization, it’s a blend of sources but often the media, so over the years my imposed identity has changed from Asian to British Asian to British Bengali to British Muslim. So which am I comfortable with? None-Tariq [link]
I don't know why but I have never felt this out of place as I have in the last 2-3 months.
Every time I'm asked where I'm from something clicks in my head. I don't really have one. Which sucks. As bhaiyya said, I don't feel right just saying Bangladeshi or Bengali or Australia or even Singaporean.
I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I'm a minority in every sense. Here I'm a minority, one of the few non-construction worker Bangladeshi's. In Bangladesh I'm minority, a foreigner in brown skin. In Australia I'm minority, I'm brown. I shall embrace the fact that I am a minority.
No comments:
Post a Comment